![]() |
| http://windowsir.blogspot.com/2015/04/blogging.html |
I'll admit I probably will not dedicate as much time to blogging as other education professionals I've read, but that could change. I'm still developing my own education philosophy and have yet to step foot into a classroom, so my current ideas have not been put into practice. Any education related material that I post at this point in time, is purely hypothetical supposition. I wonder when I will start to feel like the teacher I want to become, and likewise, when will my blog posts reflect that change?
I do like the concept of blogging, however, because it allows my future students and I to communicate in an open and honest manner. The students can post, almost like a daily diary entry, and only the other students in the class can read it. The personal communication supports a stronger student/teacher relationship. I see blogs as both potentially useful and dangerous. Useful because they enable easy content sharing, peer communication, and virtual diary. Yet, dangerous because, as the teacher, I will most likely become the mediator between students. In the classroom, open discussion is easier. Online, however, students may need encouragement to progress a blog conversation. The fun of blogging may get lost if the students cannot see the blogging as anything other than an additional assignment.
In addition to pushing students to blog, I will need to stress the importance of online integrity and internet responsibility. Internet bullying is an ever growing issue, and as the responsible party, I need to make my students accountable for their posts. If there are instances of inappropriate language, content, or bullying I need to step in immediately. Before starting the students with a classroom, I need to teach online etiquette and outline consequences for any infraction. For the students to appreciate and respect each other's posts, they need to know the blog is a safe space. It is my duty to ensure them that it is one.
I will definitely have my work cut out for me.
Until next time,
The self-proclaimed Rookie blogger!

Thanks for your post Emily! I have a feeling all of us are new to the blogosphere (at least in terms of writing for an audience) and I know its something I need to work on to increase my comfort level. I liked your ideas regarding how to structure blogging as a classroom activity. For myself, I like that blogging allows students to engage with the writing process in a space in which they have an authentic audience. Being able to comment on each others pieces, and then revise and republish them as needed creates a more dynamic space in which the writing process can occur. I agree with your points though that setting parameters and teaching responsible digital citizenship are paramount when structuring these kinds of activities.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post Emily!
Emily, you have raised a number of important issues for using blogs in the classroom. You make a good point about teachers becoming the mediator between students, which can be difficult. It is interesting that you find open discussion in the classroom easier. What is it about blogging that changes the conversation? How can we facilitate the process as teachers?
ReplyDeleteEmily, your point about losing students because they see blogging as another chore resonated with me. I can definitely see students being turned off because they find no meaning in blogging and view it as extra work. The question I am asking is how does one then make blogging more meaningful, more fun and less of a chore? How can we motivate them to share their knowledge?
ReplyDeleteHey Emily,
ReplyDeleteGreat first post, though I have to wonder about the utility of using blogs versus wikis. This is something I discussed briefly in my own blog, and for me, I think wikis are better for the classroom, while blogs are better for an individual who wants to get their own thoughts out into the open. What do you think? Would blogging be better for you if it were designed more like a wiki?
Hey Emily,
ReplyDeleteGreat first post, though I have to wonder about the utility of using blogs versus wikis. This is something I discussed briefly in my own blog, and for me, I think wikis are better for the classroom, while blogs are better for an individual who wants to get their own thoughts out into the open. What do you think? Would blogging be better for you if it were designed more like a wiki?